Here is a picture of Benjamin on his potty:
For those of you who don't know, we have been practicing something called "elimination communication" with Ben. Basically, the premise is that babies are naturally aware of their own bodily functions. They are aware of when they are wet and when they are dry, especially if they are wearing cloth diapers rather than disposables which make them feel "dry" when they are not. We noticed this with Benjamin early as he definitely preferred to pee and poop without a diaper on. We started making a cue sound for him to associate with peeing, then began holding him over the toilet during his diaper change. This was as far as it went for a few months due to our busy summer travel schedule.
Once we were settled in here in Asheville, we started getting a little more serious. We bought a small size potty for him, and John or I take him to the potty after feedings and when he wakes up. This accounts for about half of the times he needs to pee or poop. In between, he sometimes lets me know when he needs to go by fussing. It happens often enough that when he fusses, my first response is usually to take him to the potty, where he often responds appropriately. If he doesn't, then we try something else. I also let him have some time with no diaper on when I have time to pay attention to him and recognize his cues. The misses I have had are almost always attributable to my lack of attention. So, if I need to work around the house, or will not be paying close attention for a while, he just wears a diaper in case I miss a cue.
My motivation in starting this idea was simply to use less diapers. We have succeeded in that, and so far we have really enjoyed this process. Benjamin seems happier, he certainly has better hygiene, and I pay more attention to the signals my son gives me.
2 comments:
Woo Hoo! He's a cutie and that's great that you guys are enjoying pottying little Benjamin. I so wish we lived closer...
Oh and I keep meaning to tell you that there is hope for the sling yet! When they get more stable you can put them on your hip or move them around every few minutes and your back will get tired less fast. But of course your bambino is already heavier than mine so maybe not :). Anyway, my new favorite carrier is a mai thai. It is AWESOME for front and back carries. I like it better than the ERGO I spent so much money on. Darnit...
You guys are living in Ashville? There are a few back in the South. Are you in North Carolina? And, what are you doing there? And, how do you like it?
Post a Comment